Blackberry Lavender Cobbler (V, GF, DF)
Posted July 15, 2022
We love this blackberry dessert for many reasons. First, it's quite easy to throw together. Second, you can accommodate most dietary restrictions and preferences without sacrificing deliciousness for everyone at the table. Lastly, as with our ice-cream brand, we love that the ingredients are clean and simple. Warm berry cobbler and Vanilla Bean DiNoci. Reimagining how good dairy-free can be! We hope you enjoy it!
We love this dessert for many reasons. First, it's quite easy to throw together. Second, you can accommodate most dietary restrictions and preferences without sacrificing deliciousness for everyone at the table. Lastly, as with our ice-cream brand, we love that the ingredients are clean and simple. We hope you enjoy it! Credit to the talented Tieghan at Half Baked Harvest for inspiring this delicious recipe.
Prep: 20 min
- 6 Cups blackberries (frozen works great here)
- ⅓ Cup of Honey (Use maple for Vegan)
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of one lemon (divided)
- 2 Tablespoons arrowroot starch (can use cornstarch)
- 2 teaspoons dried lavender (or fresh if you have it)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
Vegan Gluten-Free Biscuit topping
- 2 Cups Almond flour
- ½ Cup Gluten-free flour blend
- 1 Tablespoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Sea salt
- 4 Tablespoons Vegan butter (cold)
- 1 Cup of Plant-based butta-milk (combine milk w 1 T lemon juice)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a baking dish (ceramic or cast iron both work great) with vegan butter or coconut oil.
- Slice vegan butter into tablespoons and place in freezer to chill
- Prepare vegan butta-milk: combine plant based milk of your choice (coconut or almond milk both work well) with 1 T of lemon juice and set aside.
- In your baking dish combine berries, zest, 2 T of lemon juice, arrowroot starch, lavender (optional if you don’t like lavender) and salt. Toss well and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in chilled butter with a pastry blender or fork until it achieves a fine crumbly texture. You can quickly rub dough between your fingers to get it crumbly - but don’t overwork it with warm hands. Gradually add ¾ cup vegan butta-milk and mix just until combined. You can add more butta-milk if needed.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead. Use your hands to shape into the same shape as your baking dish. Use a pastry cutter or knife to cut the dough into squares.
- Lay the biscuits on top of the blackberry mixture. Brush with remaining butta-milk and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown and blackberries are bubbly.
- Top with DiNoci Dairy-Free Vanilla Bean ice cream and serve warm.
Note: If you’re not gluten-free and prefer a flour based biscuit topping just substitute regular organic flour for the almond/gf flour blend. Make sure not to overwork the dough!